Enjoy your Christmas leftovers with Martin’s Bubble and Squeak!
Martin’s Bubble and Squeak
Martin’s in charge of Boxing Day in our house. Our grown up children are all guaranteed to come over for some of Dad’s bubble and squeak! So I just sit back with a glass of something and let them do all the work!
He’s perfected his technique over the years and likes to think that this is the ultimate recipe!
If you have a go at my root veg bake for your Christmas dinner then make sure you save some for bubble and squeak on Boxing Day. It adds some extra flavours without having to do any work!
All these ingredients are approximate giving a generous sized portion.
2 tablespoons of mashed potato
2 tablespoons root veg bake
2 heaped tablespoon of roughly chopped veg (whatever is left over)
1 small beaten egg (Martin’s secret ingredient!)
- With a fork mix together the potato, bake and veg, season, then mix in the egg to bind.
- Make into patties about 3-4cm thick with your hands, firming gently.
- Melt a good glug of oil in a frying pan and cook without touching on a medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Turn carefully then cook for a further 5-8 minutes until warmed through and golden brown.
- Slide on to a serving plate and enjoy with cold meats, pork pie and a good spoonful of cranberry sauce.