Lazy breakfast time in July’s kitchen!
Posted: 1st July 2023
Sometimes you just don’t want a full English breakfast! When it’s hot weather I don’t like feeling too full so a traditional brunch dish doesn’t work. This sweet treat is a tasty alternative and really makes the most of our wonderful strawberries.
Strawberry toasty brunch
2 slices fruit loaf (Lincolnshire plum bread if you can get it!)
200g ripe strawberries, halved
3 tbspns runny honey
¼ tspn vanilla paste
2 tbspns chopped hazelnuts or flaked almonds
Optional extras – juice of half a lime and/or a pinch of sea salt flakes
2-4 tbspns ricotta cheese
- Toast the bread in your toaster or use a griddle pan to make stripes
- Melt a quarter of the butter in a small frying pan till it foams then add the strawberries, cut side down if you can.
- Leave to cook over a high heat until they just start to caramelise
- Add the remaining butter, the honey and the vanilla. Stir round to blend together and pick up any juices from the strawberries.
- Stir through the lime juice or salt then add the hazelnuts.
- Spread the ricotta thickly on the toasted fruit bread then spoon over the strawberries and the nutty sauce
Enjoy straight away