Last of the asparagus in June’s kitchen
Posted: 9th June 2019
Our asparagus is just about coming to its natural end. Martin usually says June 21st the longest day, to stop picking but we started early because of the warm weather so it’s time to give it a good rest. We’ve had a fantastic crop – in fact in the middle of May we had some for tea just about every day.
So my last dish is a risotto with a wonderful, Wensleydale blue creamy sauce. I must admit it’s not my recipe but one I’ve found and tweaked a bit. It’s on the the Wensleydale.co.uk website and it’s delicious. Of course you could enjoy the risotto on its own but this sauce is delicious with a real tang – a brilliant end to the asparagus season.
Serves 2 takes about half an hour
250g cooked ham hock, shredded
1 small onion, sliced
1 crushed garlic clove
100ml white wine
175g risotto rice
About 400ml chicken, ham or veg stock – keep warm
25g parmesan, grated
4 stems asparagus, sliced fairly thinly
½ tbspn chopped tarragon
For the sauce:
125ml single cream
40ml white wine
100g crumbled blue Wensleydale
I would make the sauce first as this can stand whilst you make the risotto;
- Pour the wine and the cream into a small pan and bring to a gentle simmer. Stirring now and again leave to reduce and thicken for about 10 minutes. Add in the crumbled Wensleydale and stir until it melts. Keep warm until ready to serve
For the risotto:
- Melt half the butter in a shallow pan then gently fry the onion and garlic until softened but not coloured
- Add the rice and coat in the butter then pour in the wine and cook until the wine has evaporated
- Add a good splosh of the stock and stir in until absorbed. Repeat and repeat fairly slowly until the rice is softened but still has a little bite to it
- Stir through the ham and the asparagus and peas (you can blanch the veg first if you want to)
- Stir in the rest of the butter then the parmesan and the tarragon.
Serve the risotto with the sauce drizzled over the top
I reckon the sauce would go really well with a good piece of steak too!