Jill in the kitchen: Asparagus and Camembert Tarts
Posted: 13th May 2014
Makes 4. Takes about 25 minutes and is great for a light lunch or a picnic.
1 sheet ready rolled puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
12 asparagus spears, bottoms snapped off
Glug of oil
Squeeze lemon juice
4 slices Parma ham, cut into 2 lengthways
125g camembert or brie, cut into small pieces
6 cherry tomatoes
Salt & Pepper
- Simmer the asparagus gently in boiling water for just 2 or 3 minutes.
- Drain then return to the pan and toss in the oil and lemon juice and a good grinding of salt and pepper. Leave to cool.
- Roll each asparagus spear in the Parma ham.
- Cut the pastry into 4 rectangles and lay on a well greased baking tray. Using a sharp knife, score a line around each side of each rectangle about 1cm away from the edge.
- Prick the inside of the scored rectangle with a fork then brush the whole rectangle with beaten egg.
- Lay 3 asparagus rolls on each rectangle then pop some cherry tomato halves on each tart as well. Dot evenly with the camembert pieces and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pop in the oven 200C/fan 180/gas6/400F for about 15- 20 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and risen round the edges and the cheese is bubbling hot.
Top tip – If you pick too many spears to use at once pop the spare in a glass of water and keep for a day or 2 in the fridge.